- Seems to be the new versions of network OLE
and OLE Controls.
- ActiveX Controls will be part of Microsoft Explorer.
- Microsoft ActiveX Development Kit: http://www.microsoft.com/intdev/sdk/sdkdownl.htm
- It includes a browser ActiveX control - that's right Microsoft
Internet Explorer 2.0 (nearly) in an OCX.
- For ActiveX Controls info, refer to: http://www.microsoft.com/internet/pdcnews.htm
- Download the new Internet Controls Pack from: http://www.microsoft.com/icp
This page contains 32 bit OCXs and VB
sample code for SMTP, HTTP, POP, TCP, UDP, and NNTP tools. These are all
expected to be part of the ActiveX SDK and are part of MS ongoing Internet
strategy. They are also free for download, but beta versions.
- OLE Scripting is Microsoft's mechanism for
incorporating Visual Basic Script and scripts created
in other interpreted programming languages, such as Java
details from http://www.microsoft.com/intdev/inttech/olescrpt.htm.
This sounds quite interesting: a way to plug extension languages in as components,
via the COM IScriptingEngine interface.
- Here's a great article about ActiveX, comparing it to Java: http://www.neca.com/~vmis/axo.htm
- Template Graphics Software has delivered the first ActiveX control
to support VRML and Open Inventor(TM). Beta versions of the control are
available at: http://www.tgs.com/Products/v3space.htm
- Find out more about ActiveX at the official VBScript
web page: http://www.microsoft.com/vbscript/
- ActiveX will be delivered on multiple platforms. MetroWerks is going
to develop an ActiveX runtime on MacOS.
- Macromedia will work with Microsoft
to provide cross-platform support of ActiveX Technology, taking advantage
of Microsoft's component object model (COM) architecture
and the Macromedia open architecture (MOA).
- First there were VBXs. Then there were OCXs.
Then, Microsoft wanted us to call them OLE Custom
Controls, but we persisted in calling them OCXs.
So they must have figured that we wouldn't accept any control technology
that didn't have a name ending in X. -Curt Hagenlocher
- Ole Control 96 is a set of enhancements to OCXs
that Microsoft says "include optimizations and enhancements, windowless
OLE objects, and support for nonrectangular and transparent objects."
The OLE Controls 96 upgrade is designed primarily to improve performance
and user inferface of OLE controls embedded in Web browsers. Details on
the OLE Controls 96 enhancements are published at http://www.microsoft.com/intdev/inttech/ocx96.