MIDL: Microsoft Interface Definition Language
- Interface definition language that describes the contents of a DLL.
- A Type Library is a runtime interface to
- Used by COM to describe data structures, functions,
and their parameters.
- Unfortunatly, Microsoft uses two interface
definition languages, ODL for OLE,
and MIDL for COM. Fortunatly, the new version of
Distributed COM, in Windows
NT version 4.0, has MIDL 3.0, which unifies the two languages, so ODL
is now obsolete.
- We should consider adopting MIDL 3.0 as our interface definition language.
- How does MIDL support C++ templates? Can we use it with the Standard