

Article 1616 of comp.lang.postscript:
Path: mimsy!haven!purdue!decwrl!adobe!bezanson
>From: [email-masked] (Brian Bezanson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac,comp.lang.postscript
Subject: Re: help printing MAC postscript files
Keywords: postscript, UNIX
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Jan 89 18:00:42 GMT
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked] (Brian Bezanson)
Organization: Adobe Systems Incorporated, Mountain View
Lines: 26
Xref: mimsy comp.sys.mac:27268 comp.lang.postscript:1616

When you take a file generated by a command-F or command-K in the print dialog,
it will produce proper postscript code for your application, but the command-F
version doesn't include Apple's dictionaries, and the command-K version
sometimes isn't too clean. So how do you print those files? My suggestion, based
on what has always worked for me, is to use several different applications to
do a command-K file of a very simple document (i.e. one word in MacWrite, one
line in MacDraw, etc...) Then edit the files to remove the application specfic
code. What you are left with are several copies of the LaserPrep prolog. Compare
these files against each other. If they all seem to be identical, then I'd
assume you have a good copy of the header. Then send this to your Unix machine,
and prepend it to each command-F Mac file you send. Technically you should only
need to download this dictionary/header info once to the laserprinter, but I'd
suggest for the few extra seconds to send it in case someone has purged/reset
the laserprinters memory.

Hope this helps. If you have any problems with the above techniques, send me
some email and I'll compile a list of areas people have problems in. I'd like
to work with someone at Apple and create the definitive guide of bringing your
Mac/Apple LaserPrep generated files to other machines for downloading to 
PostScript(tm) printers.

Good luck.
------------------------------------
Brian Bezanson
Adobe Systems Inc.
[email-masked]