

Article 1524 of comp.cog-eng:
Path: mimsy!haven!rutgers!cs.utexas.edu!uunet!gwusun!foley
>From: [email-masked] (Jim Foley)
Newsgroups: comp.cog-eng
Subject: Assistantship in Human-Computer Interaction
Keywords: Assistantship, Research, Human-Computer Interaction, NRL, GWU
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Jan 90 17:08:30 GMT
Organization: The George Washington University, Washington DC
Lines: 76

NRL/GWU JOINT RESEARCH ASSISTANTSHIP PROGRAM

The Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department at The George
Washington University and the Human-Computer Interaction Laboratory at the
Naval Research Laboratory are pleased to announce a Joint Research Assistantshis
of these assistantships will be affiliated with the HCI Laboratory while
enrolled in the graduate program at GWU.  They will be full-time students at GW
related to their course and thesis work, and participate in the activities
of the Computer Graphics and User Interface Research Group at GWU.

The Human Computer Interaction Laboratory conducts research and development
in techniques and methods pertinent to the design of user interfaces for
computer systems.  The approach is interdisciplinary and the staff is drawn
from the fields of computer science, psychology, and electrical engineering.
Current project areas include:

        new modes of human-computer communication such as eye
        movements, gesture input, speech recognition, and auditory
        icons,

        concepts and designs for the next generation of user interface
        management systems, incorporating continuous, high-bandwidth
        input,

        theory and empirical study of graphical direct manipulation
        interfaces,

        visualization and control of scientific computations,

        low bandwidth communication systems including synthesized
        speech,

        characterization of human performance and individual
        differences under dual-task workloads.

The HCI Laboratory has excellent facilities for research in graphics
and human-computer interaction.  An experiment suite is under
construction, which will provide extensive capabilities for conducting
and observing experiments, including video monitoring and recording of
subjects.  Other equipment includes:

        ASL eye tracker, VPL Datagloves, Polhemus trackers, Emu audio
        sampler, DECtalk speech synthesizer, SSI and Kurzweil speech
        recognizers, BARCO large screen displays.

        Silicon Graphics, NeXT, Masscomp,Sun-3, Sun-4, Sun-386i, and
        Macintosh workstations.

Cray, Connection Machine, and BBN Butterfly supercomputers are also
available at NRL.

Computer facilities at GWU include many Sun-3, HP 360 SRX, Macintosh,
and PS/2 workstations, and several HP 370 AI and 835 Turbo SRX graphics
workstations.  There is also an Alliant FX/8 super mini and an HP 835
time-sharing system.

Beyond the core GWU Computer Science courses, the student's program of
studies will draw on two user interface design courses and three
graphics courses, with possible minor areas of study including
psychology, graphic design, expert systems, and educational theory.

The yearly stipend is approximately $13,000 plus tuition for MS
students and $14,000 plus tuition for D.Sc. students.  Award winners will
spend part-time at NRL during the academic year and full time during
the summer.

NRL is located within Washington, D.C., approximately 15 minutes' drive
from the GWU campus.

For application and information material please contact James Foley,
Department of EE&CS, The George Washington University, Washington, DC
20052, [email-masked].  Applications are due February 15, 1990.

Applicants must be U.S. citizens.

GWU and NRL are equal-opportunity employers.