

Article 1654 of comp.cog-eng:
Path: mimsy!haven!aplcen!uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!dnlunx!spex1!margot
>From: [email-masked] (Margot Lagendijk)
Newsgroups: comp.cog-eng
Subject: >aesthetics of the interface (RE)
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 May 90 07:02:49 GMT
Sender: [email-masked]
Distribution: comp
Lines: 24

Thom Gillespie asked "are there interface designers who are artist"
Well if you think that designing an interface is an art, than interface
designers are artists:-)

He also refers to buildings that have to pass an aesthetic review and
wonders if this could work with computer interfaces.
It could be wise to have something like that but, as i remember from
my computer science course, 'if the interface looks nice and beautiful it will
probably not be nice to work with' (or something to that extent).
In "Applying cognitive psychology to user-interface design" by Gardiner and
Christie, they say "The use and popularity of colour is increasing all the time.
Unfortunately, at present, it is often used excessively and inappropriately,..."
They also say "A feature (such as colour) only really works when it is 
distinctive if it is rare or unique in that particular context".

I think that artist (in any form possible) should not be held back will they
are creating things. With computer interfaces you must keep the user and the
way (s)he works in mind. That will limit the artist too much in his/her work. 
As for the comparison with buildings: aren't the outsides reviewedi? The
outsides are important for the eye, but not for the actual work that people do.
With computer interfaces both need to be considered.

Margot Lagendijk
[email-masked]