

Article 613 of comp.cog-eng:
Path: mimsy!dftsrv!ames!oliveb!bunker!eddie.MIT.EDU!rich
>From: [email-masked] (Richard Caloggero)
Newsgroups: comp.terminals,comp.periphs,misc.wanted,misc.consumers,misc.misc,comp.edu,comp.misc,comp.org.decus,comp.cog-eng,comp.unix.questions
Subject: Braille terminal wanted
Keywords: Braille, Blind, Nonvisual, Desperate, Help
Message-ID: <090888105451.Handicap.News>
Date: 7 Sep 88 19:27:32 GMT
Sender: [email-masked]
Organization: MIT EE/CS Computer Facility, Cambridge, MA
Lines: 66
Xref: mimsy comp.terminals:964 comp.periphs:1250 misc.wanted:4286 misc.consumers:10394 misc.misc:4570 comp.edu:1420 comp.misc:3547 comp.org.decus:327 comp.cog-eng:613 comp.unix.questions:9598

NOTE:  This article was sent to misc.handicap and I am posting it on
behalf of Richard Caloggero to the other groups.  Please be sure
that your replies go to Richard ([email-masked]> and not me.
                         Thanks,
                         Bill McGarry, moderator of misc.handicap

   [** If this ends up in an inappropriate newsgroup,
       I sincerely apologize.  **]

     I am a blind computer scientist, and I need information on the
existance and availability of  braille terminals (I'm not much
interested in hard-copy devices).  The following is a description of
the one I'm currently using.  It is, to my knowledge, the only device
of its kind which has proven robust enough to withstand *normal* use,
and is therefore the only device of its kind generally available today.
After reading the description, you'll know why I'm desperately
looking for an alternative.

* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -*

		THE VERSABRAILLE II TELESENSORY SYSTEMS,
		inc.

	DISPLAY * Description:
     A soft-copy braille display.  Uses piezo-electric crystals to
drive small pins through a grid of wholes on the top of the device.  *
Lines/Page: 1 * Columns/Line: 20 * Comment:
     It tries to be smart about parsing the output into _words_, and
will not break a word unless it is longer than 20 characters.  Its
still unreasonable though!!!!!!  How would you like to read "someone
else's" C program, three words at a time!!!!!!?

	GENERAL CAPABILITIES * Dumb terminal emulation *
Software-settable communications parameters * Local intelligence --
maintains simple filesystem in local ram and floppy * Cpu: 8-bit
something-or-other -- can run programs,
  but can't generate them locally; must form executable image (cp/m I
  think) and then nownload * --lots of other useless bells and
whistles-- * PRICE: (unreasonable) --  $6,000.00+.

* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -*

     In general, I'm looking for a larger display (doesn't have to be
full sized 24x80).  I don't realy care how *intelligent* it is; a dumb
terminal is fine for me.  Please send any responses directly to me at
the address below.  Also indicate whether you are interested in seeing
a summary of my findings (either sent directly to you, or posted to the
net).

      Thanx to all who take the time to read this.  If you don't know
anything about this stuff, but feel you know someone else who does,
please please forward this to them.

-- 
						-- Rich ([email-masked]).
	The circle is open, but unbroken.
	Merry meet, merry part,
	and merry meet again.