Subject: KPNO Forth
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16-Dec-83 11:15:01 PST
Newsgroups: net.lang.forth

Since we have several mail requests---here is the distribution
memo for KPNO's Forth system:
--------------------------------------------------------------
     Kitt Peak National Observatory (operated by the Associ-
ation  of Universities for Research in Astronomy, Inc. under
contract with the National  Science  Foundation)  is  making
available  its  Forth system for general distribution.  This
system is a complete Forth system for either the  PDP-11  or
the  VAX-11  computers,  under  various  operating  systems.
Included in this Forth package is floating point, trig func-
tions  and  the  like,  a  "portable"  file system, mag tape
handling and much more.  Effort has been made to  allow  one
to develop code that will transport easily between different
hardware systems.

     The supported operating systems are PDP-11 UNIX, VAX-11
UNIX,  VAX/VMS,  RSX-11M  and  a stand-alone version for the
PDP-11 (PDP, VAX, RSX and  VMS  are  trademarks  of  Digital
Equipment  Corporation,  UNIX is a trademark of Bell Labora-
tories).

To obtain a copy of the system send  a  2400  foot  magnetic
tape to:

        Computer Support Group
        Kitt Peak National Observatory
        950 N. Cherry Ave.
        P. O. Box 26732
        Tucson, AZ  85726

There is no charge for the system.  The  system  is  in  the
public domain.  You must specify which system you want:

        1)  PDP-11 UNIX ("tar" tape format)
        2)  VAX-11 UNIX ("tar" tape format)
        3)  Documentation source, UNIX "troff -ms" format ("tar" tape format)
        4)  PDP-11 RSX-11M ("Files-11" tape format)
        5)  VAX/VMS ("Files-11" tape format)
        6)  PDP-11 Stand-alone system (distributed as RSX-11M source files
        in "Files-11" tape format)

Unless otherwise specified, a 9-track, 1600 bpi tape will be
created.   The  only  other  option  is 9-track, 800 bpi (we
don't have 6250 yet).  Sorry, but we are not able to  handle
other  tape  formats (Backup/Restore, FLX, etc.).  The first
three items may be sent on  a  single  magnetic  tape.   All
other  systems  require a single tape per system.  Please do
not order the stand-alone system without  checking  with  us
first as there are certain hardware limitations and restric-
tions.  Please do not order more systems than you  need,  as
it simply increases our tape copying time.  All systems will
be sent with a single copy of the documentation.

     We are trying to limit our distribution to one copy per
company.   Please  feel  free  to redistribute the system as
required within your company.

     Current hardware/software limitations:

1)   The VAX-11 UNIX runs under 4.1bsd.  We do not have  4.2
     yet  so  we  have  not  made  the necessary changes; we
     suspect them to be minor.  With a  few  hours  work  it
     could  run  under either 32/V or System III, however we
     do not have either of these systems in-house and do not
     plan to do it.

2)   The PDP-11 UNIX runs under  Version  7.   It  does  not
     require  separate  I&D  space.  Use of Forth's   "?ter"
     word requires the addition of a new (5 line) tty  ioctl
     function  to  return  the  number  of characters on the
     input queue.  Use of the mag-tape  words  requires  the
     addition  of  the  Berkeley ioctl tape control (we have
     drivers for the TS11 and TM11).

3)   The VAX/VMS system runs under 3.2.  There is  a  funda-
     mental problem with control-C that we are living with.

4)   The RSX-11M system runs under 3.2.  We have no plans to
     run  4.0  and  have  no  idea  if  the  system will run
     instantly under 4.0.

5)   The stand alone system has only run on an 11/23,  11/24
     and  11/44.  It requires an RL02 disk drive.  No floppy
     support is provided.  The FP-11 floating point  is  the
     only format supported - the 11/03 floating point is not
     supported.  The system  is  maintained  as  an  RSX-11M
     stand-alone task.

     We are very  interested  in  your  comments,  upgrades,
changes,  etc.  to the system.  As we update and enhance the
system, we will  automatically  send  notification  of  what
changes  have taken place to all persons who have previously
received the system.  If you are on UUCP, please include you
UUCP  mailing  address,  as we prefer electronic mail to the
old kind.

Steven Grandi {decvax|ihnp4|arizona|hao}!kpno!grandi

                     December 16, 1983

--
Steve Grandi,  Kitt Peak National Observatory, Tucson, AZ, (602) 325-9228
      {arizona,decvax,hao,ihnp4,astrovax,utastronomy,amd70}  !kpno!grandi