

Article 93 of comp.theory.cell-automata:
Path: mimsy!haven!uvaarpa!mcnc!rti!talos!mckenney
>From: [email-masked] ( APL Consultant)
Newsgroups: comp.theory.cell-automata
Subject: Re: CAM-6 (Systems Concepts)
Keywords: CAM-6, Toffoli, Margolus, hardware, Systems Concepts
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Sep 88 03:31:04 GMT
Reply-To: [email-masked] (Frank McKenney - APL Consultant)
Distribution: na
Organization: McKenney Associates, Richmond, Virginia
Lines: 78

>Article 77 of comp.theory.cell-automata:
>Path: talos!rti!mcnc!gatech!ukma!husc6!linus!philabs!sbcs!dji
>From: [email-masked] (the dirty vicar)
>Subject: CAM-6 (Systems Concepts)
>Date: 19 Sep 88 16:14:39 GMT
>Organization: State University of New York at Stony Brook
>
>Could someone please fill me in on the CAM-6 board from Systems Concepts
>as described in CELLULAR AUTOMATA MACHINES by Toffoli and Margolus??
>Specifically, how much does it cost, and what is the address/phone of
>the company??  I imagine posting would be best since I'm probably not
>the only person interested.  Thanks.
>--
>Dave Iannucci	Computer Science, SUNY at Stony Brook, Long Island, New York
>*************	UUCP: {allegra, philabs, <arpa-gateway>}!sbcs.sunysb.edu!dji
>* 4 months! *	BITNET: [email-masked]
>*************	Internet or CSnet: [email-masked]

The book didn't give you much to go on, did it?  I finally
tracked Systems Concepts down, and asked them to send me any
information they had on the CAM-6.

What came was a one-page technical summary and price list, along
with a cover letter from a gentleman named Oliver Graves (dated
30 June 88).

Prices were as follows:

CAM-6 Hardware and technical manual		$1,400.00
CAM-6 Software, for one computer, and
	user's manual				$  150.00
Package price for hardware, software,
	programming, and user's manual		$1,500.00
Book, "Cellular Automata Machines"		$   30.00
Sales Tax applied for California residents.

The CAM-6 board is described as fitting into an IBM PC, PC/XT,
PC/AT, or compatible computer.  Nothing about speed limitations
is mentioned, but if I were thinking about adding it to a 20MHz
'386 machine, I might do some further checking before throwing my
money at them.

It does have its own video connector, with a pass-through when
the board is not operational.  The Tech sheet says it will drive
an "IBM standard color monitor, or compatible (or enhanced
monitor in non-enhanced mode)".  Video in/out are via a
"standard" 9-pin plug and socket (one presumes a DB-9 connector).

Power is 1.5 amps at 5V (7.5 watts).

For further information, get in touch with either Oliver Graves
or Steve McClure at:

	Systems Concepts
	55 Francisco Street
	San Francisco, California 94133
	(415) 984-1000

It looks like a wonderful instrument for research into cellular
automata, but a little beyond my current budget limit for AI
projects for this year.  Fortunately, most of the programs in the
book look like they wouldn't be too hard [translation: too hard
for the mythical "someone"] to implement in C.

Hopes this helps.  For those listening in who haven't read the
book ("Cellular Automata Machines" by Toffoli and Margolis, MIT
Press), I highly recommend borrowing a copy from someone.

Frank McKenney
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Please summarize responses to the appropriate newsgroup"

	Frank McKenney, President	| {uunet,rti}!talos!mckenney |
	McKenney Associates		|   guest account - access   |
	3464 Northview Place		|  provided as a courtesy by |
	Richmond, Virginia 23225	|     Philip Morris USA      |
	USA     (804) 320-4887
----------------------------------------------------------------------