

Article 319 of comp.theory.cell-automata:
Path: mimsy!tank!ux1.cso.uiuc.edu!brutus.cs.uiuc.edu!wuarchive!uunet!snorkelwacker!bloom-beacon!megalon.UUCP!rudy
>From: [email-masked] (Rudy Rucker)
Newsgroups: comp.theory.cell-automata
Subject: Who needs CAM-6 anymore?
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: 1 Feb 90 17:58:16 GMT
Sender: [email-masked] (Wizard A. Root)
Distribution: inet
Organization: The Internet
Lines: 35

A bit of hype for my product:

CA Lab, the Rudy Rucker Cellular Automata Laboratory from Autodesk

For $59.95, CA Lab gives you a pure software CA simulator.  On a fast
386, the speed can hit about 10 updates a second, as compared to the
CAM-6's 30 updates a second.

But speed isn't everything.  CA Lab uses 8 bits of state per cell as
opposed to CAM-6's 4 bits per cell, meaning that in CA Lab you can create
considerably more complex rules.  Would you believe a 3 species game of
Wator with shrimps, fish, and sharks each keeping track of how old they
are and how hungry?  

Create rules how?  Not in Forth, for God's sake, in C, Pascal or even
Basic.  Yes, CA Lab allows you to write a short program in one of these
languages calling on language specific include files that we provide.
For the doughtier, we have the option of changing the inner loop where
each cell picks up 16 bits of info from itself and its neighbors.  

Program runs on ANY kind of PC or clone, taking advantage of whatever
graphics are available.  Preferred mode is 256 color 320 x 200 as
available on PS/2s or clones with VGA.

CAM-6 is history, CA Lab is today!

So get out your credit card and phone Autodesk to order today.

(800)525-2763

Rudy Rucker
Autodesk, Inc.
2320 Marinship Way
Sausalito, CA 94965