

Article 227 of comp.theory.cell-automata:
Path: mimsy!haven!ames!uakari.primate.wisc.edu!aplcen!ginosko!gem.mps.ohio-state.edu!rpi!rpi.edu!hiebeler
>From: [email-masked] (Dave Hiebeler)
Newsgroups: comp.theory.cell-automata
Subject: Re: CAM-6
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Sep 89 17:35:13 GMT
References: <[email-masked]>
Distribution: na
Organization: RPI CS Dept, and LANL Center for Nonlinear Studies
Lines: 45
In-Reply-To: [email-masked]'s message of 16 Sep 89 03:04:57 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Will Bralick) writes:

> Does anybody know whether the CAM-6 is actually being produced?  If so
> does anybody have any price/availability information?

  Systems Concepts is in fact producing the CAM-6.  The problem is,
they are generally VERY slow to deliver.  Most of the people I've
talked to had to wait between 6-12 months, and my advisor had to wait
well over a year for his (fortunately we were able to borrow one from
someone else during that waiting period).  Systems Concepts also
unfortunately does not provide consulting services or much support of
the product.

  However, another company is going to be producing a slightly
upgraded version of CAM-6, which will be fully compatible with the
previous versions.  I know they are still designing the hardware, but
I'll bet they can finish designing it and start manufacturing it, and
get one to you, before System Concepts would get one to you.  The
name of the company is Automatrix; here is the address:
   Automatrix, Inc.
   P.O. Box 196
   Rexford, NY 12148

  You can send them a letter asking for info about the product, and
the various other services that will be provided (CA software library,
CAM consulting service, etc).  I have been using CAM-6 for a couple
of years now, by the way.

  I feel I had better add a hefty disclaimer here.  I am associated
with Automatrix, and indeed own a small part of the company, and will
be working full-time for them during the spring of 1990.  I do feel
that my statements above are not at all exaggerated, and I would have
made them even if I were not associated with Automatrix.  If you like,
I can give you the e-mail address of a couple of other people who have
dealt with System Concepts who are not associated with Automatrix, and
you can get their opinions.

  Sometime within a few weeks or so, I will probably post a summary
of the products/services Automatrix will be providing, in this
newsgroup.
--
Dave Hiebeler                       [email-masked]
Computer Science Dept.              [email-masked]
Amos Eaton Bldg.                       "xue zai shao"  -- Huang Ying Ying
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute / Troy, NY 12180-3590