

Article 267 of comp.theory.cell-automata:
Path: mimsy!tank!ncar!mailrus!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!snorkelwacker!ai-lab!ang
>From: [email-masked] (William S. Ang)
Newsgroups: mit.bboard,ne.jobs,misc.jobs.offered,comp.theory.cell-automata
Subject: Research programmer needed at MIT
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Nov 89 01:48:22 GMT
Reply-To: [email-masked] (Tom Toffoli)
Distribution: usa
Organization: The MIT Lab for Computer Science, Cambridge, MA
Lines: 53
Xref: mimsy misc.jobs.offered:4521 comp.theory.cell-automata:267

	Position:

	Research Programmer at the MIT Laboratory for Computer
	Science, in Cambridge Massachusetts.

	Description: 
	
	The Information Mechanics Group is looking for an
	experienced, imaginative programmer to design and implement
	control software for the first massively parallel cellular
	automata machine---which, for a range of simulation tasks of
	scientific interest, will be by far the fastest computer in
	the world. This is a small, dedicated group; it is looking
	for a partner ready for responsibility and involvement,
	willing to make the group's goals and challenges his/her own.
	
	The machine will be controlled by a conventional
	workstation.  Major tasks will include the design of
	low-level drivers and the development of a higher-level
	environment for running and analyzing computational
	experiments (this will involve acquiring a thorough
	familiarity with cellular automata simulations of physical
	systems).  The early stages of the project may entail
	participation in software aspects of hardware design, such
	as VLSI simulation and testing.

	Qualifications:
	
	The most essential technical requirement is a solid and
	broad-scoped competence in software design using
	conventional languages (such as C or LISP) and environments
	(such as UNIX).  Experience with real-time programming,
	parallel computation, physical simulation, language design,
	and user interface design is desirable.

	Contact:

	Please send resumes and any other information you deem
	appropriate directly to:

	Tom Toffoli
	MIT Lab for Computer Science
	545 Technology Square
	Cambridge, MA 02139.

	or send email to

	[email-masked]